Mary J. Browning, Attorney at Law
As a child, Mary J. Browning learned about the Dred Scott case in school. Scott’s legal fight at the Supreme Court to be free from the chains of slavery struck a chord with her and inspired her to become an attorney and fight for justice.
With over 20 years of experience, Mary specializes in family law. She serves her clients with a unique combination of litigation experience along with an understanding of the government agencies and systems that direct family and child welfare. Mary is committed to her clients and diligent in her pursuit of results that work best for them. She could be described as a courageous attorney possessing both integrity and tenacity for her clients. Mary pledges to be an advocate for everyone she can, regardless of their class or economic background.
Mary J. Browning is a passionate advocate for the children and families of Mid-Missouri. She has served on several committees, including the Children’s Justice Task Force, the Boone County Child Fatality Review Panel, the Boone County Interagency on Child Abuse & Neglect. In addition to being a former Chair of the State Child Fatality Panel, Mary has also been involved in drafting legislation for Missouri’s compliance with the Adoption and Safe Families Act (ASFA) and some provisions of Title IV-E of the Social Security Act (foster care).
When not working on behalf of her clients, Mary is an active member of her church community.
- Senior Attorney, Mary J. Browning Law Firm focusing in family law, August 2003 to Present
- Associate Director/Change Agent, Department of Social Services, June 2001 to August 2003
- General Counsel, Department of Social Services, June 1996 to February 2003
- Director of Legal Services, Department of Social Services, June 1997 to June 2001
- Deputy Director, Division of Legal Services (Litigation Section), Department of Social Services, October 1993 to June 1996
- Assistant Prosecuting Attorney, Boone County Prosecutor’s Office, September 1990 to October 1993
- Assistant General Counsel, Department of Revenue, November 1988 to September 1990
- Staff Attorney, Department of Social Services, March 1987 to September 1988
- Missouri Bar Association Admitted October 9, 1987 Cole County Bar
- United States Supreme Court, January, 2020
- Juris Doctorate Degree University of Missouri, Columbia May 1987
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, University of Missouri, Columbia May 1984